November 20, 2015

Anime ◊ Dance With The Devils

Updated 11/24
 Name: Lindo
Type: Overprotective
Level (Anime): 4
Meter: Moderate
Rating: 1

Name: Shiki
Type: Sadistic
Level (Anime): 4
Meter: Moderate
Rating: 1

*Okay so I feel like everyone in the male yandere fandom has been taking about this anime. It's been the rage these days so I have to talk about it xD. Thank you to everyone who recommended me this anime by the way ~ヾ(^∇^). I usually hate watching ongoing animes because I really hate waiting but I made an exception for this anime. If anyone hasn't heard about this anime yet it a reverse harem anime that is currently ongoing. Surprisingly, this anime isn't based off an otome game. It's actually the other way around, the otome game will be based off the anime and it is coming out March 24, 2016! The anime was more based off the manga that came before it. Well that aside, I have some things I need to say about this anime. This is totally just my opinion and anyone is free to disagree. Simply put, I am questioning the "yandereness" in this anime. My thoughts are kind of confusing so I put them into a little chart to make them a little more organized....*

*Note: I got rid of the chart and made some edits to my assessment.*
  
Original View
 *Once again, this is just my opinion, anyone is free to disagree with me. To basically sum up my table, the only character I consider yandere in the anime Dance With The Devils is Lindo. The other characters are types of characters that have potential to be yandere but the anime to me does not portray them as in love with the heroine, just interested in her. That love aspect of it really makes a difference of whether I consider a character yandere and I am really just not feeling it. Now, I have much higher hopes for the otome game. The otome game would definitely vamp up the character's yandereness and the fact that they actually will fall in love with the heroine (I hope) makes it easier to call them yanderes. The anime mostly focuses on her relationship with Rem and Lindo so that is why I can only consider them yandere. The other characters barely have time to develop feelings for her. One episode isn't enough to call them in love with her for me. So yeah.. in my opinion, in the anime, Lindo is a yandere, the others are not. In the otome game most of them would probably be yandere so I can't wait for that to come out! O(≧▽≦)O*

*Note: Italicized words/sentences are points I got from feedback/comments, not my original ideas.*

New View
*Okay so after some feedback, I now consider Shiki a yandere. I didn't before and only considered Lindo a yandere but, Shiki and Lindo are both yanderes just different types. I got persuaded with that point to consider Shiki a yandere. I said before that I didn't believe that the other characters aside from Rem and Lindo liked the heroine but it is hard to really show that in a 12 episode anime. Also, since it is a reverse harem one can assume that all the characters have some feelings of interest towards the heroine. With that said, Shiki and Lindo are yanderes. Lindo with his desire to protect, and Shiki with his desire to break are two types of yanderes. As for the other characters Urie can be considered yandere or at least borderline too since he also has a desire to break like Shiki. I don't know about Mage and Rem. I labelled Rem as borderline before but I really was pushing it saying that. He really isn't yandere at all. He has some yandere lines but he is not yandere to me. The same goes with Mage. He has yandere lines but I don't think he is yandere. As for Loewen (the dog) he is definitely not yandere. At least not for the heroine since he really just wants her power for his master. Now, like I said before, in the otome game there is a high chance all the characters might end up being yandere since in the otome game their feelings can develop more. But as for now, I consider Lindo and Shiki yanderes and Urie borderline.*

P.S: This is why I love feedback ^^. The term yandere is so subjective there are multiple ways to define it. But, by discussing possible yanderes with multiple people you can make a decision on whether you consider a character yandere or not. When I labelled Shiki as a non-yandere I was a little iffy about it and after some compelling points on how Shiki is yandere I was persuaded xD. With 3 yandere characters in the anime this is the best anime yet for male yandere lovers <3. I can't wait to play the otome game O(≧▽≦)O.*

38 comments:

  1. I still love you even if I disagree....In a non creepy way of course. I'm not gonna start stalking you or anything. Considering the constraints of the anime, I view a lot of the guys as yanderes. 12 episodes is never enough time to break down a story and characters...A hard lesson Tokyo Ghoul taught me...

    Anyway! I hope we didn't annoy you by talking about this anime all the time. It's just so good it had to spread like a plague. Plus Shiki, 'nough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D. And of course, I expected people to disagree, there is nothing wrong with that ^^. Also, you make a good point, 12 episodes is not nearly as enough time it takes to break down a character. Thinking about it that way, the anime is pretty impressive with exploring the yandere trope.

      Not at all! I enjoy the anime and agree it's good. There are not many male yandere animes out there so it is exciting when one finally comes our way! :D

      Delete
    2. It's true, 12 episodes aren't enough to judge a character, however in my opinion, I can tell what they're wanting to do with them, both Shiki and Lindo are definitely going to be yandere.

      It's just that they're not the same type of yandere. Lindo is so like Toma, with this overly protective brother instinct attitude, while Shiki is just like Kanato, with all this creepiness, terrifying and insane vibes around him, also "I want to break you."

      I think someone that never played DL, only watched the anime, probably classify Kanato as only a sadistic yangire, but he's also yandere. That's why I already classify Shiki as a B type yandere. But anyway, It's totally fine if you disagree.

      Delete
    3. No I totally agree with you. I believe that Shiki and Kanato are similar, very similar, and the way you compared watching the anime versus playing the otome game with Kanato's character makes sense. I personally classify Kanato as yandere in the otome game but he is portrayed as yangire in the anime. I know what you mean by saying how you know where they are going with Shiki's character but, they haven't gone there yet so I can't consider him yandere. Also, since the otome game didn't come out yet is is even harder for me to call him yandere since there is no otome game to back up his character like Kanato. Basically I am waiting to play the otome game before I start classifying them as yandere or not. This post was just classifying them based on the anime alone and the anime alone doesn't prove "yandereness."

      Delete
    4. Yeah, the anime only portray them as twisted psychos, but there's more. I believe that there's not only one type of yandere. For example, both Toma and Kanato are yandere, but they're different from each other. That's when I start to classify them.

      On one hand, we have type A yandere, they're probably the most common. These type of yandere are extremly overly protective and jealous. They'd do crazy stuff to protect and keep the person they love for themselves, however they'd hardly inflict damage on their beloved, simple because they hate to see the one they love suffer.

      On the other hand, we have type B yandere, don't know why, but they're my favorite. These type of yandere are not only extremly jealous, but also completely insane, twisted, terrifying, unstable, diabolical, threatening, sadistic, etc. They basically have yangire traits. They'd actually do crazy stuff for the person they love and also on the the person they love with the same passion. I mean, if their target of affection reject, betray or run away, they'd inflict damage on it without hesitation, maybe even with pleasure. These could be torturing, violating or even killing.

      It's not only with Kanato, characters such as Ace, Iori or Balder got their yandereness overshadowed in the anime. I think Shiki gave even more hints of being yandere than anime version Kanato, 'cause he's only tortured Yui so far and stuff, but Shiki said something pretty yandere-like: "We'll be together forever. Otherwise...I'll kill you." I'm just so freaking excited for the game!!!

      Delete
    5. Wow! I was literally persuaded reading your comment :D. The point about there being two types of yanderes, A and B really makes sense. Especially how you mentioned the other yanderes in animes that were overshadowed. I agree that Shiki was portrayed more yandere then Kanato in the anime and that they are both B type yanderes. The classification of yanderes as A and B solves literally all the problems with yandere. The two types are like at opposite sides of the spectrum which makes it contradicting in a way to consider one yandere then the other yandere too. But, your classification of there being an A and B type makes sense. It makes so much sense actually that I felt like I was having an awakening, literally. I know it may sound like I am exaggerating but I am not. You mentioned Ace and Iori and thinking about the A and B thing, Toma, Lindo and Iori would be A, while Kanato, Shiki and Ace would be B. Totally opposite in personality but all yanderes.

      ∑(゚ロ゚〃) (My mind just exploded)

      I literally might make a whole page about this, about the different types of yandere and start classifying the yanderes I post about. If it is okay with you I would like to use your A and B type names for the yanderes ^^. I know that everyone has a favorite type, or at least a type they prefer so it would be helpful to label yanderes like that in the future for those who only like one type :). I honestly like both types <3.

      Delete
    6. It's fine, you can use this mess of a concept xD You got it pretty fast! That's exactly it! Kanato, Shiki and Ace are B type yanderes, because they'd actually hurt or kill the MC, if they get rejected! These types are super dangerous! But, yeah, they're all crazy xD and I love both types <3 ! I just find B type slightly more fun xD

      I think, for now, it goes like that: Both Shiki and Lindo are yanderes, Urie is Borderline, but it's heavily implied that he could eventually turn into one, ( Could he be B type? Or maybe C type yandere*? ) while that, Rem is just kuudere, Mage is just tsundere, and Roewen is...not sure what he is, but I can assure those 3 aren't yandere.

      *Type C yandere: They're the most complicated. Here's the deal with them. They "aren't". There are some yanderes that can't be classified either as A or B type, at first sight. They hardly or never give any hints of being one. They could come off as shy or simply as a silly deredere, but the thing is: The viewer/player doesn't know that this guy is, in fact, a yandere. It's hidden, it's locked. Probably, not even the guy knows he's yandere. I've seen it. You can spend an entire route without any sigh of yandere tendencies. Sometimes, you can even finish the game without any sigh of yandere tendencies, because it's generally revealed in the bad endings, but also, in specific situations. Sometimes, it's so inconsistent, you could call them, bipolar or boderline, as you wish. They can be revealed to be A or B type, or other. It's a surprise.

      If you want more info about this topic, I recommend you to read this: https://ilikeblueflames.wordpress.com/yandereyangire-male-collection/

      Delete
    7. Thanks for your permission :D. I love both types too!

      Another type! Thanks for explaining C type to me. I feel like there are many types of yanderes. You can go on forever but labelling them as A, B or C is easier in general to explain them.

      Thanks for the site! I will check it out :D

      Delete
    8. Holy crap people are looking at my definitions of the different types of Yandere! :O
      I didn't know people looked at my really personal, silly blog for references. O_O

      Delete
  2. hey! It is super hard to find any decent yandere male anime! I check your blog every week for new pretties to chase after <3 , this one I have just started watching. So far looks pretty good! Can't wait till the next ep! so different from the manga though! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog! ^^

      I do agree that it is hard and also can't wait for the next episode!

      Delete
  3. Man, the only reason I'm watching this series was Lindo, then the others got my interest, Rem to be specific.
    I swear to God, I love it when Lindo misunderstoods something, then goes berserk and insane, which I ain't complaining.
    Now exquizme while I wait for Ep 8 with Eng Subs.

    I honestly thought that Rem was gonna be Lindo. I mean, their looks is just....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too when Lindo goes berserk <3. I also like Rem too... What am I saying, I love all the characters in this anime xD.

      Delete
  4. I just don't get why'd assort Rem as a boderline. Not even close, he's kuudere for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was pushing it calling him that. I agree that he is kuudere.

      Delete
    2. By the way, have you ever heard of Hatoful Boyfriend? It's an April's Fool Day otome game. It's pretty silly actually, but there's an yandere in it. His name is Shuu Iwamine. He reminds me of Kashu from Bad Medicine, because of his fixation with science, except that he isn't shota. He's pretty much insane, but I won't go into details here, because I don't want to give spoilers.

      Delete
    3. No I have never played the game. I will have to get it now and play it ^^. Thanks for the info about it and the yandere in it :D!

      Delete
  5. I think shiki is borderline yandere but his masochist side is overwhelms it.Lindo is pure yandere and hits Toma mode quick.Rem is a tsundere/kuudere (mic drop).Urie is raito in perv mode.Mage is a delinquent boss leader.PEACE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Lindo is like Toma, Rem is a kuudere, Urie a perv, and that Mage is a delinquent boss leader xD. I think Mage is more tsundere then Rem though. Also I feel like Shiki's masochist side just makes him more yandere idk why xD.

      Delete
  6. watch this funny video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztZtHDMuow&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z120v3hg1zafczaxh04cg5optunxfz4bif4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the video :D. The yandere simulator game looks like so much fun (I have a weird definition of fun xD).

      Delete
  7. Is Shiki a M or a S? both XD? he's so weird, he might be somewhat similar to a character in the season 2 of DL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like he is both. I agree that he is weird but in a good way xD. Also I agree that he is like Azusa in Diabolik Lovers.

      Delete
  8. For me they are all borderline. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you say that. None of them ever fully go yandere in the anime which was disappointing :(.

      Delete
    2. If they are yandere then yato too!

      Delete
    3. I still consider Yato borderline. Yeah he is obsessed with Hiyori but that is about it.

      Delete
  9. Hasn't anybody noticed how small the waist is of the one next to the one holding a rose. You know the blonde haired guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since you commented every time I watched the anime I kept staring at his waist xD. It is small!

      Delete
  10. After finishing the series: This was a ridiculous disappointment....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I felt like they could have done much more. There was so much yandere potential in all the characters especially Lindo but the anime didn't go further :(.

      Delete
    2. It just seemed so rushed- The development started out really well and they had really good groundworks for yanderes (I mean seriously, you couldn't really asked for better with demons, fallen angels and half-vampires) . But then BAM! She's with Ren now, lol bye!

      Delete
    3. Yeah I get what you mean. But honestly how much could they do in a 12 episode anime? I feel like they had to rush the plot. But the price for that was a yandere fail :(. The otome game though would be less rushed and more developed. At least I hope.

      Delete
  11. you're right in that there are different views in yandere. i don't consider the guys in diabolik lovers yandere because i never see them actually truly care about and love the heroine.. they just have oedipus complexes or something lol. imo yanderes have that crazy element but they are crazy in love and that's why they act the way they act.

    well anyway i havent watched this anime so i have no feedback on that lol. i reckon i ought to put it on the list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Considering there are multiple definitions for the same term there's got to be some different views on what's yandere and what's not.

      Delete
  12. You should check out the otome game released in March. It has yandere endings for both characters. A manga version that makes Shiki the main guy is also out, but I have no idea how it turns out as it hasn't been translated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaand I just realized that your image was from Blight. Scrap that part!

      Delete
    2. Hey! Thanks for the update! I am familiar with the otome game and see that it does indeed develop the yandereness of the characters. I will have to see if I get a chance to play it :)

      Delete